My personal selection of my favritist places in the Peloponnese -in no particular order.
Click on the underlined headings for more info.
- LANGADA PASS [Laconia] The very bestest way to travel between Kalamata and Sparta.
2. MYSTRA [Laconia] Near Sparta is an abandoned Byzantine town on a hillside. It’s wonderful.
3. GERAKI [Laconia]. This is another abandoned Byzantine settlement. It’s not as large as Mystra or as well known. A magical place to visit.
4. MONEMVASIA [Laconia]. Another Byzantine settlement, this one is not abandoned and is much as it was in the olden days.
5. KASTANIA CAVE [Laconia]. One of the most beautiful caves I have ever visited.
6. POLILIMNIO [Messinia]– Set in a fertile green valley, this is where to head if you fancy an icy cold dip in freezing mountain water.
7. KALAMATA [Messinia] Isn’t Kalamata an airport ? Well, yes, but this vibrant city is well worth a visit.
8. ANCIENT MESSENE [Messinia] Less muddly than Olympia and less visited, but wonderful.
9. OLD VOULCANOU MONASTERY [Messinia] The views of Ancient Messene from Mount Ithome are superb. It’s worth the arduous walk.
10 METHONI [Messinia] Home to one of the bestest castles I have seen.
13. KASTANIA and the TAYGETOS MOUNTAINS [The Mani] This picturesque village in the mountains is only a short drive from Stoupa. There are several churches with wonderful frescos, a restored tower house , oh yes -and two tavernas- yay!
14. AREOPOLI [The Mani] A pretty village hidden from the main road in the Southern Mani. It comes to life at night.
16. ANCIENT OLYMPIA [Elis] A visit to the world famous home to the Olympics is a must.
17. NAFPLIO [Argolis] A vibrant and attractive town with three castles!
19. ANCIENT EPIDAVROS [Argolis] A huge [and still functioning] open air theatre, a stadium and more.
20. ANCIENT CORINTH [Corinthia] You can still walk around this ancient Roman City which is in pretty good nick considering its age.
21. ACROCORINTH [Corinthia] High above Ancient Corinth is this medieval fort which offers amazing views.